325 Route 35 North • Red Bank, NJ

facebook logo-blue twitter logo-blue fdghdfhdgtjhdtgjtfgjgrtfj Google-Plus-icon

Call Now For Your FREE In-Home Estimate!

Request A Quote

Here at Remodel America, we believe that the more informed you are, the better your decision about siding will be. Here is a list of key terminology that you should know when talking about repair or replacement of vinyl siding.


Backerboard: Any flat material fastened to the side of a house between the studs and siding to provide a surface to attach siding to.


Battens: Strips of wood placed over joints in wood siding to seal the joints.


Beveled: Clapboards that are tapered rather than cut rectangular.


Buttlock: The bottom edge of a piece of vinyl siding which locks into the previously installed panel.


Caulking: Material used to seal joints at intersections of different materials. Used with different types of siding to join the siding to pre-existing materials.


Channel: The area where siding and soffit panels are attached to the trim or corner post. Also refers to the trim itself, which is named for the letters of the alphabet they resemble (J-channel, F-channel, etc).


Composition Board: Siding that is composed of weather resistant, compressed wood material.


Course: A row of siding.


Double/Horse Course: When an underlayer of shingles or shakes is covered by a new application of siding.


Face: The siding that is visible once it is installed.


Fascia: The exterior board that runs along the edge of a roof. The fascia creates a finished look by covering up the ends of the roof rafters.


Flashing: A layer of sheet metal used under siding on windows and doors to prevent water from penetrating the home.


Gable: The triangular end of a house that stretches between the eaves and the ridgeline of the roof.


Gable Vent: A vent placed in the gable of a home that increases air flow to the attic, thereby reducing heat and moisture buildup.


Lap: The overlapping of two siding panels to allow for expansion or contraction of the siding material.


Nailing Hem: The section of siding where the nail slots are located.


Overhang: The portion of the roof that extends beyond the walls of a home. The soffit or eave is the underside of an overhang.


Panel Protection: The amount that a panel of vinyl siding sticks out from the wall. You should choose the largest profile available for any siding in order to prevent weather damage to the wall of the house.


Scoring: The process of running a sharp object, such as a utility knife, across a siding panel without cutting all the way through. The panel can then easily be broken off cleanly along the line of scoring.


Soffit: The underside space between the end of the roof and the side of a home, often vented to provide circulation to the attic.


Square: A measurement that equals 100 square feet of siding.


Tongue and Groove: A way of connecting materials, such as wood, in which the tongue of a board is placed into the groove of the board following it.


Vinyl Siding: Plastic siding that comes in a variety of colors and styles and is virtually maintenance free.


Wall Sheathing: Sheets of plywood or wood planking used to cover the wall framework of the house.


Weep Holes: Openings cut into a siding material to provide for water runoff.



Learn more about siding before making your decision

Learn more about siding installation, repair, or replacement by checking out some important key terms.

Call today or stop in to find out more about what vinyl siding can do for your home.


325 Route 35 North

Grey shingled house with a new window installed House with white siding image001